The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act (P&SS Act) takes its name from Virginia Graeme Baker, a young girl who drowned after she was trapped under water by the powerful suction from a hot tub drain. A twin and the youngest of five, 7-year-old Graeme, as her family called her, was the daughter of Nancy and James Baker IV, the son of former Secretary of State James Baker III. A member of her community swim and diving team, Graeme was able to swim without assistance since she was 3 years old. In June 2002, Graeme became stuck to a hot tub drain and was unable to pull herself fre
A multistate lawsuit filed Thursday says 2002-10 Ford Motor vehicles contain a "design defect" in the electronic control of the gas pedals, making them susceptible to sudden, unintended acceleration. The lawsuit filed on behalf of Ford owners in 14 states is seeking class-action status and goes into great detail about the alleged defect in the models named in the lawsuit that don't have brake override technology. That technology stops the car if both the brake and the gas pedal are activated at the same time. Ford began installing it, known as "brake over accelerator," in all vehicles it make
The Food and Drug Administration has issued an important warning about one of the most popular antibiotics. Azithromycin – known by the brand names Zithromax and Z-Pak – could cause fatal heart problems. More than 40 million prescriptions a year are written for azithromycin, for everything from bronchitis to urinary tract and skin infections. But like all drugs, azithromycin has its side effects. The FDA said one rare side effect could be lethal. It could cause an irregular heart rhythm that in some patients has caused sudden cardiac death. A Vanderbilt University study found an i
TV shows about law and medicine are sometimes realistic, sometimes not. When Downton Abbey's Lady Sybil died of eclampsia seizures just after giving birth, some wondered if such a death would happen today. The answer is both yes and no. Lady Sybil had undiagnosed pre-eclampsia, a condition that affects as many as one in ten pregnant women. It causes high blood pressure and protein in the urine from kidney malfunction. It's also known as "Pregnancy-Induced Hypertension." Symptoms include unrelenting headaches, vision disturbances, and swelling of the hands, face and feet (although so
It's cold! But extremely important to keep everyone safe from Carbon Monoxide, which has been called "the silent killer." Typically, carbon monoxide is not produced in dense enough levels to harm anyone, but when appliances malfunction, deadly amounts can rapidly accumulate. Here's what to do to keep everyone safe: Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually by a trained service technician. If you rent, ask your landlord to have this done. Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and windows are open.