Back to School Safety
School is back in session! Please talk with your children about safety and school bus procedures. Never let your child cross behind the school bus and always use caution when approaching a school zone. Always obey the school zone speed limit and exercise extra caution. Be alert and stay safe!
Here are some great tips to share with your children:
Safety rules to follow when waiting for the school bus:
1. Always arrive at the school bus stop on time (or even early!) so that you don’t have to rush.
2. Always wait for the school bus on the sidewalk/at the bus stop. Do not stand, run, or play in the street.
3. When the bus approaches, stand at least 2 giant steps away from the curb or the edge of the road.
4. Wait in a straight line away from the street.
5. Do not push or shove anyone while waiting for the bus.
Safety rules to follow when getting on the school bus:
1. Wait until the bus stops, the door opens, and the driver says that it is okay before stepping on the bus.
2. Stay in a straight line while getting on the school bus. No pushing!
3. Do not push or shove anyone while getting on the bus.
4. Hold on to the handrail when getting on the school bus.
Safety rules to follow when riding the school bus:
1. When riding the school bus stay in your seat. Do not try to change seats while the bus is moving.
2. Sit with your feet in front of your seat. Do not sit with your feet in the aisle. You could accidentally make someone fall.
3. Use your inside voice — don’t talk loudly or yell or scream. If you have to talk, do it softly.
4. Do not put hands, feet, or any other part of your body outside the school bus window.
Safety rules to follow when crossing the street near the school bus.
1. When crossing the street, never walk behind the school bus. Always cross in front of the bus.
2. You should always walk 8 steps in front of the school bus and make sure that you can see the school bus driver
and the driver can see you.
3. Walk to edge the school bus and stop, look both ways, and listen. Proceed only when you don’t see or hear any cars coming.