Injured Without Health Insurance – What are my Options?

Q:  I am in pain from an accident but don’t have health insurance. I need to see a doctor but can’t afford to pay. What can I do?

A:  You first should determine if there is any insurance available to pay medical bills, such as automobile insurance medical payment coverage. There may be other possibilities for insurance coverage that your lawyer could evaluate. If there is no insurance of any kind available to pay medical bills, your doctor may still be willing to treat you, with the understanding that he/she will be paid at the time your injury case is settled, from the proceeds of your settlement.  This is commonly referred to as treatment “on a lien”, because the doctor will usually obtain a lien on your prospective settlement in order to ensure payment of his bill. If your doctor is not willing to do this, there are a number of medical doctors, chiropractors, and therapists who are willing to administer treatment under such an arrangement. We sometimes assist our clients with these or other arrangements so they can receive the treatment they need.