Warm Up in the Winter
Many Arizonans are turning their air conditioners off for the season and turning on their heaters. Tucson Fire Department and Bache & Lynch want you to keep these helpful tips in mind in order to avoid heater-related fires:
1. Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater.
2. Never use your oven for heating.
3. Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
4. Turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed. For fuel burning space heaters, always use the proper fuel as specified by the manufacturer
5. Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room and burn only dry, seasoned wood.
6. Allow ashes from the fireplace to cool before disposing in a metal container – keep it a safe distance from the home.
7. Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning.
8. If you smell gas in your gas heater, do not attempt to light the appliance. Turn off all the controls and open doors and windows. Call a gas service technician or your local gas company.
9. Install a working smoke detector and practice your escape plan with your family.
Have you been injured? Call Bache & Lynch today for a free consultation: (520.) 293-5300.